Monday, July 9, 2012

If You Liked Small Steps, by Peg Kehret...

I did a post not so long ago about what I believe to be the most-often-asked-for juvenile biography, Small Steps, by Peg Kehret. I had to read it to see what all the fuss was about, and after reading it, I understood the fuss. Now I just finished a book that reminded me a lot of that one, so if you liked Small Steps, you're sure to like Breathing Room, by Marsha Hayles. This is a story that happens during WWII but with a very different subject than most historical fiction taking place during that time.

Thirteen-year-old Evvy is sent away to Loon Lake Sanatorium to recover from tuberculosis. She shares a room with grouchy Dena, princessy Pearl, always cheerful Beverly, and kindred soul Sarah. The rules of the room are simple. Don't talk. Don't move. That's about it. If you want to get better, you must follow those rules. Of course, that is not so easy for 5 teenage girls, and so of course sometimes those rules are broken.

This powerful story is one of heavy loss but also of strong friendship and hope. Though it can be found in our Young Adult Fiction section, it is also appropriate for younger kids. I would say about 4th grade and up.

No comments: