Through an NPR project, a group of more than 25 authors, actors, politicians, philanthropists, scientists and musicians each shared five stories that they absolutely love reading to their children. The Storybook Project, created by Jessica Deahl from NPR’s All Things Considered, launched earlier this month at http://nprstorybook.tumblr.com/with recommended titles from author Edwige Danticat; comedian/actor/producer couple Adam and Naomi Scott (known for Parks & Rec, Hot Tub Time Machine, Step Brothers); writer/illustrator Chris Van Allsburg (Jumanji, Polar Express, etc.); chef/cookbook author/food education advocate Jamie Oliver; and Yale law professor/author Amy Chua.
In addition, everyone is welcome to submit storybook picks at the Tumblr page - http://nprstorybook.tumblr.com/ask. In the coming weeks, NPR will share more storybook lists contributed by:
· Bill de Blasio & Chirlane McCray - Mayor and First Lady of New York City
· Carson Ellis & Colin Meloy - writer / illustrator (Wildwood Chronicles series); Colin is a musician, part of the band The Decembrists
· Diablo Cody - screenwriter/film director (Juno, United States of Tara)
· Gail Simmons - chef, cookbook author and Top Chef judge
· Jack Johnson - musician
· Jewel - musician
· Laura Bush - former First Lady of the United States
· Maz Jobrani - comedian and panelist on NPR’s Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!
· Melinda Gates - co-founder of The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
· Samantha Power - U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations
· Tamera Mowry - actress (Sister Sister), model and host of talk show The Real
· Wendy Kopp - founder of Teach for America
· And many others!