Friday, July 20, 2012

Favorite Book Fridays: Chasing Lincoln's Killer

In history class growing up, I've always been taught that John Wilkes Booth was the man who shot and killed President Abraham Lincoln.  And when I went to Washington D.C. in eight grade for a school trip, I visited the home across the street from Ford's Theater where Lincoln perished from gun shot wounds.  What I NEVER learned was that John Wilkes Booth escaped from authorities and went on a 12-day runaway escapade with his accomplices before he was captured.  I could go on and on about all the pertinent details, but if you've got a reader in 4th through 6th grade who enjoys learning about history, I highly recommend, Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson.  Mr. Swanson himself is a Lincoln history buff and is very knowledgeable about this 16th U.S. President.  Be prepared for a fast paced adventure! (And the audiobook is just as good as the print book too!)

No comments: