Friday, March 2, 2012

Favorite Book Fridays: New Favorites in Non-Fiction

Who doesn't love a puppet?

Puppets can be made with the most simple of materials- lonely socks, odds and ends of paper, even a napkin! 10 Minute Puppets is a book recently added to the juvenile non-fiction collection that explains clearly how to make a variety of silly, playful puppets. Some of my favorite ideas include little paper puppets that turn your fingers into dancing ballerina legs, sock puppet snakes, and folded paper lion puppets reminiscent of cooty-catchers. It was so inspiring to me that I thought we should probably have a puppet making workshop this summer. Keep a lookout for that. In the mean time, check out the book!





Another new non-fiction addition that caught my eye as I checked it in for the first time was How Cooking Works . It's a cookbook for kids that describes the science behind the recipes. Step-by-step photos and succinct instructions set up young cooks for success in the kitchen, and small notes answer such questions as why corns pops and why beaten egg whites become stiff. The delectable photographs of berry and whipped cream laden pancakes or oven fried sweet potato wedges make me want to race home and set my toddler up with a stool by the kitchen counter. I would hesitate to hand over the chicken or shrimp to younger chefs, though. The first recipe my little guy and I will be making? Savory cookies with cheddar cheese and rosemary. Yum.

No comments: