Friday, March 23, 2012

Favorite Book Fridays: I Am a Bunny

I confess that I didn't know about this 1963 Golden Books classic until I received three (yes, three!) copies of the board book edition as baby shower gifts before my daughter was born in 2009. The text by Ole Risom is rhythmic and pleasantly simple, but the illustrations by Richard Scarry are the real star of the show. Working in a much more realistic style than in his Busytown books, Scarry conveys nature through the four seasons in vivid, saturated color. Each two-page spread is gorgeous enough to frame, with lots of details and critters for kids to discover. Repetition is so important for building early literacy skills, and this is a title you might not mind reading (and looking at) again and again! You can find it in our Board Book bins in the Children's Room.

No comments: