Saturday, February 9, 2013

Etiquette and Espionage


I've written about Gail Carriger's series The Parasol Protectorate here before. Just to be clear; I'm a fan. If you're looking for some clever, adulty, plot driven fun and you're into alternative histories with supernatural romance, you can do no better. And that's a surprisingly big field, so...

Anyway, for those of you who, like me, were sad when the series came to an end, you'll be delighted to know that there's a new series of prequels beginning with Etiquette and Espionage, out this month. I was lucky enough to get my hands on an advance copy and I devoured it in one sitting. It's even better than the other books, reminding me that when authors are writing with a little restraint, choosing subtlety and innuendo over explicivity (I officially dub that word existent), the result is often much deeper, more tender, more heart stirring and just as sophisticated as adult-themed books.

In Etiquette and Espionage, book the first of Finishing School, Sophronia is enrolled in a highly regarded finishing school where, she is surprised to learn, she will be instructed in the fine arts of espionage and defense and well as curtsying and tea service. It turns out she has a certain flair for spy work, and will excel as long as she can keep herself out of trouble (at least, out of the wrong sort of trouble.) In this Victorian era romp, a steamship is the home of a girls school and is only accessible by power of werewolf leaping, the head mistress may or may not be aware that she is bringing up a horde of young ladies destined to be spies, and some of those ladies must overthrow secret plots to ruin parties via fraternity stunts. 'Tis a wild ride, and I highly recommend it to any reader 12 and up! If you still don't believe me, watch the book trailer and enjoy!

No comments: