Sunday, September 16, 2012

Splendors and Glooms, by Laura Amy Schlitz

How do I even begin to describe this book? Like other books I've read and enjoyed, it has magic, grief and loss, suspense, creepiness, some pretty scary bad guys, and some nice kids just trying to get by. That's not new. But unlike any other book I've read, it combines all those things in a unique way while adding puppetry to the mix, and it becomes so much more. The ultimate creepiness for me is children being changed into little marionettes; they are completely paralyzed, and completely conscious, relying on others to give them movement. This is not a book for the faint of heart. Though the story is nothing like Harry Potter, for me it still brings that series to mind. If your child has read Harry Potter, then he or she is ready for Splendors and Glooms, by Newbery Medal Winner Laura Amy Schlitz.

No comments: