Friday, February 24, 2012

Favorite Book Friday: Tuck Everlasting

I may as well start this series with my all-time favorite chapter book as a kid: Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt. I happened to be in a used book store when I was in elementary or middle school, and the book just looked good. Little did I know what a classic I was getting ready to open. I've never seen the movie myself, but the previews looked so cheesy compared to the book, I can't imagine that the movie did it any justice.

In case you don't know, it's a very sweet romance between kids. Jesse Tuck is forever 17, immortal like the rest of his family. Winnie Foster is a little younger, and is very mortal. They fall in love, and Winnie has to make the decision whether to drink from the secret spring of immortal water or live the rest of her life like everybody else in the world.

The words that come to mind when I think of this story are tenderness, love, and friendship. I love it as much today as I did as a kid.

No comments: