Monday, May 16, 2011

YA for Grownups

I like my books with plenty of drama, some mystery and a hint of romance. I also need a book that I can read quickly between work, kiddo care and sleep. And I have to have a great plot; I have little patience for lots of background with no action. That's why I love Young Adult fiction. There's a whole group of us: grownups who read books published for teens. Want to give it a try?

Chime by Franny Billingsley. Briony can see the Old Ones who haunt the Swampsea. When her sister becomes sick with the Swamp Cough, she knows she must confront her witchy-past and risk losing her life to save her sister. A dark and beautiful tale.

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly. Angry and depressed after the death of her brother, Andi just wants to play her music. Instead she has to finish a major project or she won't graduate high school. A discovery belonging to a musician from the time of French Revolution provides insight into Andi's life and a young revolutionary.

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. Flash forward to planet colonization. A plague has hit the settlements, killing the women and infecting the men so that they constantly hear each others thoughts. One day Todd hears something different out there...silence and discovers a girl. The truth leads him on a wild chase.

No comments: