Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Friendship Between the Spinach Eater and Hip Shaker

Qualm (quahm, quawm)
-noun
a sudden feeling of apprehensive uneasiness; misgiving

Reminisce (rem-uh-NIS)
-verb
to recall past experiences, events, etc.

Popeye lives with his grandmother who exercises her brain by constantly reciting the chronological order of all the English kings and queens, and exercises Popeye's brain by teaching him a new word every week, including the ones listed above. After a bunch of rainy days, Popeye is going to go crazy if he has to stay in his house any longer. On a day that seems just like any other, he and his big dog, Boo, meet Elvis. In fact, that day is not just like any other. Popeye, Boo, and Elvis venture further than Popeye's grandma allows him and explore the woods near where he has always lived. But this time, Popeye sees something he has never seen before: a cardboard boat, and it has a message in it! What could this mysterious message mean? Who could be sending it? Will Popeye get in trouble for going further than he is supposed to?

As an adult, The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis, by Barbara O'Connor, made me reminisce about when I was a child and I could completely remember what it felt like to experience the excitement of a child over such seemingly small things. I know I would have loved this book as a child, and I have absolutely no qualms about recommending this book for kids. I loved it and I think your kids will, too. I'm thinking it would be good for 3rd grade and up.

No comments: