Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Music in Books

I just finished reading The Magician's Elephant, the newest book by Kate DiCamillo. It kept striking me how I could totally imagine this book as a musical. I heard through the grapevine, in fact, that it is going to be turned into a movie, so I'll be very disappointed if it is not a musical. I'm actually not going to review this book for this post, although it is a good read for elementary kids who would enjoy a fantastical story about family ties, caring for others, and magic.

Anyway, the book made me think of other books that also incorporate music into them. Jane Cabrera, Iza Trapani, and Nadine Westcott (author and/or illustrator), have turned many children's songs into picture books. Even if your child can't read yet, s/he will likely know the songs in these books and be able to "read" right along with you while you sing the words on the pages. This feeling of mastery will encourage your child's enjoyment of books.

Here are just a few more of my very favorite books that are also songs. Your kids may not know these songs, but they sure are beautiful books!

No comments: